Monday, February 17, 2014

Milk & Cookies

Milk & Cookies
8" x 10"
Acrylic On Wood Panel 
2013


"Milk & Cookies" was created for a Krampus themed group show hosted by Copro Gallery in December 2013. In case you're not familiar, while Santa distributed gifts to the "good" children, Krampus distributed punishment to the "bad" ones.
Upon further consideration of this relationship, I wanted to believe that Krampus and Santa were truly partners/colleagues for Christmas. Of course these characters are opposites of each other, but at the end of the day, they also need each other. I perceive them as being two sides of the same coin, and as such, this would mean Krampus would share in the spoils of Christmas, ie. "Cookies & Milk".
This painting ended up being the first in a series I'm hoping to explore in the future. Where most of my paintings are built around a simple formula:"light" characters in "dark" situations, "Cookies & Milk" reverses the formula, inserting a "dark" character" in a "light" situation.

1 comment:

  1. I truly wished my hubs' family celebrated Krampus during Christmas. It's is part of their heritage and I think the thought of Krampus is much scarier than not getting gifts.

    ReplyDelete