Saturday, April 14, 2012

Head Like A Hole

Head Like A Hole
Acrylic and Ink
12" x 12"
2012 

On April 21st, 2012 323 East will be hosting "Lyric", a group show curated by Glenn Barr. For this exhibition Barr had one simple request for each artist: Each piece of art must be 12 x 12 inches, paying homage to the timeless beauty that can fit on the cover of a vinyl record. Each artist has been given free reign to draw inspiration from their favorite artist, album, song or lyric and put their personal interpretation to canvas.
For this show I found inspiration from one of my favorite bands, Nine Inch Nails. Specifically their song "Head Like A Hole". To be completely honest I never really understood what Trent Reznor meant by "Head Like A Hole". Was he suggesting that the person/subject had a mind like a hole? Exactly what was the nature of this hole? If this hole was metaphorical, why didn't he write it as "Mind Like A Hole"? Is there a possibility that this hole was actually a real hole in the head? Maybe he's playing off the idiom 'I need ____ like I need a hole in my head'. Anyways, after giving it some thought, the above painting became my solution to these questions.
Also, a limited edition giclée print of "Head Like A Hole" will be produced by 1xRun, a partner of 323 East.

No comments:

Post a Comment