Friday, November 11, 2011

Kamen Rider & Super Sentai Anniversary Show

On 5th, November 2011 the Los Angeles based Q-Pop Shop, in conjunction with the JACCC and Anime Jungle are presenting a group show featuring art inspired by Kamen Rider and Super Sentai. For this show, I chose to create a piece inspired by Kamen Rider.


Kamen Triker
Acrylic and Ink on Paper
8" x 6"
2011

"Kamen Triker" was inspired by many different factors, some from the show, and some personal. What separates Kamen Rider from the rest of the or Japanese Superhero shows (also known as Tokusato - Americans might be more familiar with the show "Power Rangers") is the fact that the hero's signature mode of transportation is a motorcycle. I chose to parody this with a tricycle because the way I saw it, the show was designed to entertain children (ie. people too young to actually drive motorcycles). Another reason why I choose to illustrate a tricycle is because I personally do not know how to drive a motorcycle, and the way I see it, this painting puts into question my own masculinity, adulthood, and more.

No comments:

Post a Comment